Pages

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

When the red, red robin comes........

bringing friends, it can be an interesting event. Over the past few weeks, for the first time in the many years we have lived at this location, robins --- by the hundreds or more -- have been coming near sundown to spend the night in the trees and bushes surrounding our house. It is a noisy and amazing sight. The video is not anything spectacular (my apologies), but if you stay with it all the way through I think you will get a sense of how many of these beautiful animals are gathered into one place.
It is an honor to have their presence and my apologies to all the robins for sometimes disturbing their rest when I arrive home after dark.  Rustling and rather indignant sounding chirps can be heard if anyone moves around in the driveway after dark. Sorry.......

The whole phenomenon is really pretty cool.......thank you robins, one and all, for hanging out around here (not that you care or anything, I am presuming that you are here because this is a good place to sleep right now...enjoy!).

8 comments:

Murph's mom said...

I think that is very cool too! For years when the robins disappeared from our house in the winter I had thought that they migrated south. I found out that they don't migrate but flock together and congregate in wooded areas. I have a theory why they may have chosen your house. It could be Juli's pretty Christmas lights and decorations. They like her Christmas spirit. I do too. I am thinking about putting up Christmas lights too.

Christina said...

I love the Robins. They are my favorite, always have been. I raised a baby that we never figured out what happened to his momma. I spent a fortune on night crawlers on that bird. I will have to tell you the story someday. He grew up, got a job getting his own dinner and was released but came back to visit often.

veganelder said...

Thanks for commenting Murph's mom. Uh, they were showing up before the light show...so I don't think that is it. Maybe they are staying for it.
:-)

veganelder said...

Thanks for commenting Christina. Robins are nifty folks, I like them too. I look forward to the story.

Krissa said...

What a wonderful sound! And what beautiful birds! I love birds. Ever since I was grown up, wherever I live I feed them. And since I always live in apartments, I get in trouble for this, but I couldn't care less. I feed them anyway. I'm always careful to start feeding them less and less before I move when I move so they don't just have nothing one day - I know they can get dependent on a food source. But anyway, you are very lucky to have birds living so close to you. Don't you just love to hear them sing? We have a lot of sparrows. And a few starlings come once in a while and an odd pigeon here and there. There are songbirds somewhere near us that I've never seen, but their song is soooooo beautiful. Birds singing is one of my favorite sounds. Thanks for sharing the video!

veganelder said...

Thanks Krissa for your comment. I keep a 40 lb bag of sunflower seeds for our bird feeder and have been feeding around here for 15 years or so. We have a large number of cardinals that hang out around us and they are a visual treat. This time of year we are begin to see the chickadees and juncos around again. Birds are both lovely to see and to hear.

Bea Elliott said...

I never knew this about robins! They flock! I always thought they were solitary birds... I just see them as "couples" occasionally in my yard. Such happy chip-chip-churping! Little winged wonders! Where's your driveway - I'd brave it to witness such a lovely sight! Thanks for sharing.

veganelder said...

Thanks for commenting Bea. Hey, you would be welcome anytime, Norman Oklahoma is awaiting your arrival.