Pages

Monday, August 9, 2010

One of the positive aspects of the World Wide Web is.............

......that it makes possible accessing the writings and thoughts of others so astonishingly easy.  I am not sure that is always a good thing, but often it seems to be so.  I ran across an essay that had a quote in it referring to avoiding eating animals that is eloquent and potent:
"....Every time I sit down to eat, I cast my lot: for mercy, against misery; for the oppressed, against the oppressor; and for compassion, against cruelty. There is a lot of suffering in the world, but how much suffering can be addressed with literally no time or effort on our part? We can just stop supporting it, by making different choices...."
Bruce Friedrich's complete essay is well worth reading.  Support compassion with your choices....go vegan.

2 comments:

oldbones929 said...

What a magnificent blog! I believe that as a species humans are destructive, cruel, and selfish and show little concern for the non-humans of this planet. I adore and love to watch all creatures, from the tinest ant to the awe-inspiring whales. I quit watching the news years ago because I couldn't stand to see yet one more cruelty or atrocity perpetrated on animals or the planet. It's always refreshing to know that there are others who feel as I do. Thank you!

veganelder said...

Thank you, oldbones929, for your comment. It is indeed grotesque to watch or hear cruelties presented as if they were unremarkable occurrences that require no notice or outrage. Such exemplifies the miasma of violence and horror that are used to anesthetize and desensitize our culture.