Pages

Monday, December 27, 2010

Why she became vegan....

...this recent (March, 2010) interview of Ellen DeGeneres by Katie Couric touched on the question of why vegan? The video came to my attention because I saw it over at  We're All Animals .  I think it is a good one for as many folks as possible to watch because Ellen DeGeneres is articulate and clear in her presentation of the experiences and thinking that led her to choose a vegan approach to living.



In the interview she references a documentary called Earthlings.  You can watch the complete film online.

If you haven't seen it, do so, especially if you are not living the vegan lifestyle.....simply because you want to know what you are doing to sentient beings, the environment and the earth.....you do want to know, don't you?  Or maybe you think ignorance (deliberate and willful) absolves you of responsibility. Does it? Hmmm.....

5 comments:

Krissa said...

Thanks for sharing this. Ellen represented very well. It is so important for non-vegans to get the message from well-spoken, articulate, calm people who clearly are not 'nuts' (the way vegans are perceive by the more ignorant of the masses). I especially like what she mentioned about having been a more anxious person before she became vegan. I too have had horrible anxiety all my life, but it is less now. And less with more time that passes and my body contains no 'animals' and I use no 'animals'. I do believe that when a person ingests another creature or a product from a creature whose life was nothing but fear and pain and suffering, it hurts us in many ways we don't realize. I'm glad I saw this too because I see Ellen in a whole new light now. She's not as goofy as I thought.

Bea Elliott said...

Ellen does a fine job at representing the "mainstream" ideology of veganism. I can only see having her on our side as a bonus!

Christina said...

Ellen is a heck of a good lady. She delivers great messages in a way that makes you want to listen. I love love the story she once told of rescuing a giant lizard out of the road. (I think it was an iguana, not sure about my lizards) She had me rolling on the ground laughing. She cares strongly for animals.

So I'm Thinking Of Going Vegan said...

I thought this video was excellent too. Especially for those who automatically think animal rights activists are extreme. As a celebrity Ellen has a lot of clout, and I applaud her for trying to use her influence wisely. And for being funny to boot. She rocks! :)

veganelder said...

Thanks you Krissa, Bea, Christina and SITOGV for commenting.

I agree, Ellen presented her thoughts and feelings eloquently. It is an asset for her to be on the side of the animals.