Pages

Thursday, December 9, 2010

Passive activism.....

I recently wrote about designing and ordering a bumper sticker from Zazzle. It has arrived and been applied to my back bumper. I was impressed with the quality of it and am pleased that I took the plunge and had one made.
 
the back bumper
I have had the TryVeg sticker for some time, you can get them for free from the Compassion Over Killing folks. I have never had a reaction to the TryVeg sticker, but within a few days of putting on the custom designed sticker I had a woman in a Prius pull up next to me on a four-lane highway and drive right beside me until I looked over....at which point she gave me a thumbs-up and a big smile and pointed toward my back bumper. It was quite uplifting and still keeps me smiling when I think about it.

Wouldn't it be nifty if everyone that was vegan or vegetarian made sure they had a bumper sticker on their auto? Even if you don't do anything else in the way of activism, consider putting the message out there to be seen. Passive activism has a place in spreading the word....and it is hard to get more passive that slapping on a bumper sticker. Just set it and forget it....until.....maybe you get a smile and a thumbs up too.

Get a free one from Compassion over Killing, or buy one here, here or here. Search the web yourself, check your favorite sanctuary or organization for their stickers......write me if you want and I will help you find one. You too can be an activist...passively.

6 comments:

Krissa said...

Hey, cool!!! That is really awesome about the lady in the Prius. I lived in Kansas for quite some time and my parents are still there so I know from experience that the general area you live in isn't heavily populated with vegans or 'vegetarians'. Neat that you had that uplifting interaction with a fellow enlightened being. :) The stickers are awesome! I don't have a car or truck. My bumper is my backpack. Thanks to my friend over at SIToGV I have plenty of really cool buttons stuck on there to give people something to think about standing in line in the stores. Anyway, I hope you get more thumbs up - and I'm sure that you will make some people think that you'll never know about.

veganelder said...

Thanks for commenting Krissa. My error in not considering other (and more environmentally friendly) locations to engage in "passive activism". Backpacks, bicycles, t-shirts....are all terrific locations from which to engage in near effortless educational activities.

Power to passive activists! :-)

Krissa said...

I can't take any credit for not driving. I had to give up my Ford Ranger when I moved to Brooklyn years ago. Otherwise, I'd still be driving. The cities my husband and I have lived in make more sense to use public transportation (I walk whenever possible because I hate public transportation). And you'll be seen far and wide in a car so that's getting the message around more. But yeah, a t-shirt is a good idea!

Bea Elliott said...

Oh you're singing my tune veganelder! I'm a bumper sticker fan indeed. It started innocently with 3... A "Go Veg", a "Be Kind to Animals - Don't Eat Them, and a "Milk Comes from a Grieving Mother". Well... now I probably have 10 or so - Fortunately the back of my Jimmy makes a nice canvas for my messages.

I once had a man who was gleeful to see my vegan advocacy. He took photos on his phone to send to his vegan girl friend. I am equally as happy to see your car stickers as well! Any way to get people thinking is a wonderful idea! :)

So I'm Thinking Of Going Vegan said...

Your post made me want a car again! Snort. But like Krissa, my backpack will have to do for now, and come summer I'll be sporting some appropriate T's! :)

veganelder said...

Thanks for commenting Bea and SITOGV. Yes, any way to promote a different way of seeing things is good, whether bumper, backpack or T-shirt.