Pages

Sunday, October 3, 2010

Exuberance, October and Veronica......

One of the many reasons that rabbits are interesting beings is that when the opportunity arises they will express "joie de vivre" (the joy of living) like few of us can. Yesterday (Saturday, October 2nd 2010) we were out at Heartland Rabbit Rescue doing some volunteering and I had the chance to sit down with Veronica and catch some of her excellent expressions of the physical joy of being alive. Take a look:
Veronica can be a sweetie, but she can also be rather grouchy. Sometimes she seeks caresses and other times she will nip you if you come near her. It just depends (on how she is feeling, I presume). I know a number of human animals that act much the same way.

In the video, Veronica is in a pen on the northside of the warren. Sheets or covers are placed over the pens to discourage hawks from grocery shopping. The bunnies need lots of supervision when they are outside and volunteers are always welcome. Bunny watching can be extremely interesting. She exhibited all of her moves in just a 3 minute span of time, I edited out the moments when she was contemplating her next move and I also removed a moment when she came over and had to have a period of petting.

Every bunny is a unique individual and getting to know Veronica is an experience not to be missed. She is a hoot.

All the animal people, in all the shelters, need the opportunity to strut their stuff. Volunteer at your local shelter........the animal people need you and..........you need them.

10 comments:

Heartland said...

Taking time to sit with a bunny and witness the bunny dance of joy is such a pleasure. Your face can't help but smile and laughter can break out at any moment. Thank you for filming this. It is so delightful! The music fits her mood perfectly.

Christina said...

Ah, Miss V! You make my heart smile.

veganelder said...

Thank you for commenting Heartland. Veronica sure put on a show, didn't she? She brings new meaning to the word...fast.

veganelder said...

Thank you for commenting Christina. Miss V is indeed a smile elicitor.

Krissa said...

From your description of her, I think my husband would say that Veronica is just like me. Ha ha!!! .. When I was at the shelter here I mentioned more than once that I was very concerned about our smaller cats (a couple the size of Benson and the outside area of their home is very large and totally uncovered) because of birds of prey (that I saw more than once) and everyone laughed at me. I am so glad that the folks at Heartland make sure that none of the bunnies are in danger that way. ... I wasn't sure what Veronica's music is, but it is very regal sounding. Quite fitting, actually.

veganelder said...

Thank you for commenting Krissa. The wisdom to avoid risks with raptors is due to Jeanne's extensive knowledge and experience. It is sort of challenging to figure out how to cover the most area with the sheets and covers we use.

Veronica is quite a character.

The music is Beethoven's "The Ruins of Athens, Op. 113, Turkish March". It is a piece of music I have loved since first hearing in many years ago. Who knew Ludwig had that kind of whimsy in him?

So I'm Thinking Of Going Vegan said...

A hoot indeed. Veronica's fun to watch!

veganelder said...

Ah yes, So I'm thinking of going Vegan, she is indeed. Thanks for commenting.

All the bunny folks at the rescue are fascinating to hang around, Veronica just happened to catch my eye when I had the camera right there.

Bea Elliott said...

Adorable! I have the pleasure now and then in my back yard to share the company with a small brown (wild) rabbit. If I am very still, he will just go about his business... Each time he gets just a little closer to me - Obviously he see's I'm not a threat.

My favorite thing though is to see him and the chickens interact... After an initial curiosity they all just forage together - Once and a while a dominant hen will run him out of "her space". He seems to understand the pecking order, moves to a different spot with the other birds... I wonder sometimes if he and they don't have a secret gripe session about "the mean/bossy chicken"? Strange how their world is often a reflection of our own...

veganelder said...

Thanks Bea for commenting. I think their world is our world, we just think it isn't. Many of us think we are "above" animalness when in fact that is one of the few redeeming qualities we have. Wouldn't it be a terrific thing if we could manage things nearly as well as the bunny and the chicken?