Pages

Sunday, May 30, 2010

Cat companions

Two cats live in my house, one was a shelter cat, both are sterile.  I am posting this because it is important to emphasize that those of us who have feline companions should keep them indoors--- always.  There are multiple reasons for doing so, some of these were not so true in the past.

The types and severity of diseases outdoor cats are exposed to have increased in number and intensity over the past 30 to 50 years, feline HIV and feline heartworm were unheard of when I was a child.  These changes are highlighted by the fact that the average lifespan of an outdoor cat is estimated to be 5 years and that of an indoor cat to be 12 years.  A significant difference.

In addition, outdoor cats will follow their nature and hunt, resulting in the unnecessary deaths of a myriad of living beings that make their homes outdoors.  Extending lives and saving lives is pretty much a good thing, eh?

3 comments:

Christina said...

My kitty was wild when he showed up in the yard a couple of years ago. It took about 2 months before he allowed me to touch him. Eventually I was able to neuter him and get his shots. His instincts still screamed to go outside and I gave in. It was the biggest mistake and he was lost to the road. I agree with you 100 percent. Keep them inside for their safety and all the little creatures.

dana said...

Right on veganelder, I also agree 100%. It is the only way to have a cat. I don't think they miss a thing outside, and all the little creatures are safe.

Murph's mom said...

Painful indeed to see the results of what calloused individuals do to rid themselves of the responsibility of a pet. Christina you did the right thing in helping kitty. Few people know the circumstances you must work within in helping all those that depend on you. Kitty's passing is not your fault. Former pets are often found out here in the country, just like that creek behind your house, roaming the hillside lost and confused. It is common knowledge what will happen to the dogs, cats and the wildlife. Does that matter to the selfish, calloused individual who abandoned their pet in the country? nope. I have had to deliver many an injured cottontail to Rondi due to an attack on a little nest. Delivered 7 babies, one of which was well on his way across the bridge, to Rondi just last night. The individual who destroyed their nest was far too busy to put the nest back together so momma could take care of her babies and he simply put the little family in a bucket and handed them off to someone standing nearby. sigh...I'd better step off this soapbox. I apologize Veganelder. I should never get on this subject.
In reference to your next post, sleep comes after exhaustion takes over.