Pages

Friday, December 5, 2014

Some observations...

Heartland Rabbit Rescue cares for over 100 rabbit beings who were either abandoned (or deliberately released) by their former caretakers. Spending several hours daily with these fur people means that I've becoming rather familiar with their personalities and their behaviors.

Frank
Here's a recent photo of me holding Frank, a long-time resident of Heartland. Frank was at Heartland when I first started volunteering so I've known him for over 5 years. He definitely did not like humans when I first started and he still isn't particularly impressed with my species but he's much less inclined to growl and slap if he's approached by two-legged folks now.

Frank was outside once right after I started volunteering and a low-flying helicopter cruised over the rescue property. Frank...who at that time really really disliked humans creeped over to position himself as close to my feet as he could get. I was a much safer (even though he thoroughly disliked me) refuge to him than whatever it was that was making all that noise up in the sky. Heck, I might even protect him. Or...at least that's my speculation about what he was thinking.

Frank also exhibits one of the most common activities of the bunnies. When their enclosure is being cleaned they will often be released to run freely around in the building where they are housed. Most of the bunnies (not all of them, but most) will, upon being given freedom to roam the whole building, immediately head toward one or more of their neighbors to settle some scores. A slapping, growling and sometimes biting spat will immediately erupt. It's one of the darndest things I've ever seen. You would think they would want to run and explore after being released from confinement to a fairly small area...nope...they want to go kick some a**. Frank particularly dislikes his neighbor Abigail who lives in the back of his area. He and Abigail have serious differences and they both, if they have the chance, will tangle.

I fantasize that they say mean things to one or fart or engage in annoying habits while they are housed next to one another and when they get the opportunity to go after whomever has offended them...well...then yeeehaaaw. I've seen this so often from so many different bunnies that I've decided that one way to make a rabbit dislike another rabbit is to house them side by side for a lengthy period of time. The odds are high that they will develop quite a dislike for each other. Not always...some buns are pretty laid back and don't do this...but the majority develop some serious antipathy for their neighbors and will get into a real spat if they get the chance.

Putting living beings in close proximity to one another (and their having no choice in the matter) almost always will result in instances of antipathy...that goes for humans and for rabbits...and I betcha it goes for chickens and ducks and cows and donkeys and and and.

Saying all this to say...it sometimes makes me want to weep to think about how thoroughly and completely we've gone about convincing ourselves that the excellent beings with whom we share this beautiful planet are "different" than us. It's one of the most incredible con jobs ever successfully undertaken. Here's a broad statement that carries more accuracy than error: All living beings are more alike than they are different. Period. And yet...we walk around in a fog of human supremacist bushwa. We are truly the delusional species.

Wake up...live vegan if you aren't...and if you are then thank you. Only delusion or profound ignorance or horrid personality issues would cause you to live any other way.

4 comments:

Krissa said...

Only because I have experience volunteering in similar circumstances with feral cats and seeing similar behaviors did this make me smile. It's not a happy smile, but a knowing smile. I'm sure you understand that.

I remember Frank from years ago when I regularly commented here. I've tried to comment sometimes and not been able to, but I'm sorry that I did't try to more often. Your blog is truly a comfort and inspiration to me.

You put a perfect voice on the plight of our fellow beings who are so "lucky" as to have the lives that Frank and Abigail (I remember her, too!) have. In the past months I've been visiting a place owned by the city here where some goats, sheep, cows, horses and many different birds live. It has made me sad more than once to see that, although compared to their fellow species on factory farms, etc., they are living in "luxury". Their lives are nowhere near what they should be. That is the best they can hope for. The. best. they. can. hope. for. And while it's better than the alternative....it's heartbreaking to see certain behaviors...that show how far from perfect their lives are. Thanks to human beings. No other reason. Simply because of us humans.

Your voice for our fellow beings is so powerful. Thank you.

veganelder said...

Thank you for commenting Krissa. Seeing your name brought a smile (a warm one) to my face. I'm glad you remember both Frank And Abigail. I also want to thank you for your efforts with the refugees there where you live. I know none of them have the life they should...but it is heartening to know that you bring some warmth and caring into that which they do have.

It's a bittersweet thing to help with those refugees, tears and smiles.

I'll tell Frank and Abigail you were thinking about them...and I'm pretty sure some part of them will be pleased.

Next time you see the goats, sheep, cows, horses and birds...give them a pet or a rub or a good wish from me please. Thanks again for taking the time to write.

Have Gone Vegan said...

All living beings are more alike than they are different.

Yep, ain't that the truth. And it's interesting, isn't it, that human animals when they do recognize similarities will say, "Oh, they're so much like us", instead of "Oh, we're so much like them. ;)

veganelder said...

Thank you for commenting HGV. Your "like us" versus "we're so much like them" perfectly illustrates an aspect of privilege...that wherein privilege places the center of comparison in us...avoiding privilege means recognizing that the center doesn't reside there...and maybe there actually isn't a center.